Friday, January 9, 2009

Why toddlers don't belong in OB offices


I had my very first OB appt last Tuesday. We'll go for an ultrasound on the 19th to confirm my due date, but tentatively it is on September 1st. I'll have a repeat Cesarean section the week prior and a tubal during surgery! Yep, you heard me right. This baby making machine is over. We're obviously don't do so great preventing on our own. However, to be fair, this is our first unplanned/surprise baby.
I had to take McKenzie with me. I really didn't have many options as most people I know work during business hours and I don't want Duane using his sick time just for the itty-bitty visits. I want him to be able to take some time off when we birth our third baby!
Kenzie was an absolute horror. Erhmm, I mean, toddler. Our office has a playroom that she was only content in for two minutes. I put my chair in front of the door in an attempt to keep her from roaming the rest of the waiting room. She threw herself down, screeched, and proceeded to crawl under the chair. Each time I'd place her back in, firmly tell her no- and we'd repeat the cycle. Imagine me having a stand-off of wills to see who is the most stubborn. She was wearing me down. But she didn't win. *sigh*

By the time they FINALLY called my name(20 minutes AFTER my start time) I was nearly out of snacks for her. Her toys and books were on the floor and she was simply tired of looking at each of them. In all fairness it was her nap time(about 45 minutes into her scheduled time anyway) and she was being restrained WAY too long. I was exhausted, annoyed, and emotional. A fun mix. They weighed me(fun). And instructed me to give my urine sample. I cried on the John. She just began to attempt to rip the toilet paper from it's roll. Again- fun.
During the "girly" exam she was quite content to stare at my doctor. Maybe trying to sneak a peak at the fun tools and instruments the doctor was using on her Mommy. She was bored quickly and realized the cabinet doors opened. She ripped and tossed each gown.. one by one. Giggling in delight.
My doctor was amused. I didn't know what was worse. The pelvic exam or my misbehaved toddler!
Fun. We get to repeat this drama on the 19th for my sonogram.







3 comments:

Sarah said...

I feel for ya. We are fixing to take Zack to the doc in a few minutes. He is usually pretty good, the other one is the horible one, he wants to do everything.

E George Julia Wells said...

Wow, I really feel your pain, and I understand about how you don't want Duane to use up his sick time for the "itty bitty" visits, but rather after the birth of the baby.
I think you were a very brave Mama to have withstood hurricane Kenzie at the OB's office, and I will pray it won't be as hellacious for you next time!!

XXXOO

Alicia said...

So sorry, but I just can't stop giggling over her mischief! I would be just as horrified if I were in your shoes.