Friday, April 24, 2009

Reason 201......

Why we do NOT do baby Sign



Apparently a new way of communication with infants and toddlers alike is the use of signing. Now I researched this a lot during school, my pregnancy with Zoey, and then again with McKenzie. The jury is still out that it may cause speech delay. Since I'd much rather my kid speak to me than sign to me(given that she is not hearing impaired, which currently she is not) we opted to avoid this option of communication.

I also had to throw in that I find it comical that one would insinuate that the knowledge of signing would also eliminate Little Miss Stubborns temper fits. To do so she would need to be fluent in sign and the most common words for babies signing are: Thank You, More, Yes, No, Please. So thinking my attempts would be in vain.

Anyhow- since I got a bit off topic with my rant about my decisions regarding McKenzie's verbal welfare here is the REAL sign for more and below is McKenzie's attempts. I couldn't stop laughing. I only contradicted my beliefs to see if she would actually do it when she was screaming, "Mommy!" and pointing at my oranges. She did try and she looks like a flapping penguin rather than a signing baby. Hysterical. And I am not bias but she IS the cutest 16 month old I've ever seen!



No comments: