Thursday, August 6, 2009

Another year goes by


I've come to the realization that I don't need anyone else to recognize her soul. Not a single person ever needs to mention her to me anymore. I am satisfied with that reality. I finally grasp three-years later that it's an awkward conversation that most family and friends do not want to focus on.
I can focus on her. I can remember from our pregnancy memories together, to each happy day she graced us with her beauty, throughout her death, and throughout my life.. Until I take that very last breath God gives me.
I miss her. And somehow with time and grace I've learned to accept life without her physical beauty in it. I can remember her, love her, honor her. I can feel pride when her baby sissy points to her pictures and says, "Awww, Baby!" I can feel the bond they share without McKenzie having the vocal capabilities to share it with me.
It's the most surreal moments in life. Three-years can feel like an eternity and a second in the very same moment. Surreal. I've thought long and hard. Tried to rationalize the reasons for her life, death, the absence of a part of my soul. I've Begged and pleaded, screamed at God, Anger, and happiness, Tears and sorrow. I can remember the months after her death- the "pit" that I found myself in.. The pit I can STILL find myself in.
I've learned how to be happy despite my incredible misfortune. I've learned how to feel blessed, despite her absence. Three- years. A long time. A lot of thinking and contemplating. A lot of un-answered questions. Guilt, pain, fear, anger, sorrow- all the typical emotions after losing a child.
I can finally accept that she is gone from this Earth. That I'll never see that crooked bink- that crazy, wild hair, that silly smile- the determination on her face on this side again. I can find happiness that Yesterday's heartache isn't tomorrow's destiny.
Missing, Loving, longing, for my Sugar Butt. My sweet, beautiful, Zoey Faith.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Lisa, It saddens me that I never got to meet your Zoey. She surrounds you and I can see that whenever we are together.

Danielle said...

I have tears in my eyes as I read this because I remember the first time we spoke on the phone was only days after Zoey went to be with Jesus. I remember telling you then and I will tell you now, that you are one of the bravest Mommys I know!Such beautiful and heartfelt words for a sweet baby girl that will ALWAYS be remembered as she touched the hearts of so many. ((HUGS))