Tuesday, May 26, 2009

McKenzie: You're 18 months old today.

Oh, little girl. Today you're one and a half years old. Half way until you come roaring into your terrible twos(a tiny secret- you're already practicing)!

You've changed drastically over the last few months. You're taller, heavier, smarter, and a bit more, erhmm, "bratty."

Your vocabulary is exploding daily and you managed to repeat several phrases and sentences over the last few weeks. Your favorite, "give that to me!" You've been a demanding child since utero, and I didn't expect for a second your toddler hood would be any different.

You still love your blankey and pacifier. You MUST have BOTH while having your diaper changed first thing in the morning. Even if you've managed to pee on them during the night you become infuriated at the prospect of me washing it.

You love to chase Bayleigh and offer her your toys to "chew." Bayleigh has destroyed her fair share of your offerings and this upsets you. I wish I was able to rationalize with you a bit more so you'd understand that Bayleigh is a dog and playing gently with your stuff isn't in her nature. So, until then, we'll have to deal with the constant temper fits.
However, your biggest milestone EVER came today, on your 18th month birthday. You went to daycare for the VERY first time. You were hesitant. I was hesitant. Somehow we both survived. With lots and lots of tears in between you survived.
Though you may not understand now, please know that our separation is for you. Everything I do in life is for you. Soon daycare will be the "cool" place to be and Mommy will still be working and attempting to make your life's needs and wants a bit easier on all of us. So, though today my heart broke as I left you crying for me- know that I am always, always, always, here for you. My heart is yours sweet girl.

In closing I cannot believe how much you've changed from the day we first met, 18 months ago. I cannot believe my heart is capable of loving you anymore- but each day I do. You complete our family in a way that I never imagined possible. Through every temper fit, milestone, excitement, and heartbreak- Daddy and I love you that much more. I wish I had the words to explain how much- but words are inadequate my sweet baby girl.
We love you to the moon and back.


1 comment:

Alicia said...

Oh, what a sweet, sweet letter!